Brian Spotts – Musician in Tampa
My original idea for this bio was to have somebody else write it for me, as the notion of writing about myself seemed awkward and somewhat self-absorbed, but I decided to do it myself when I realized two important things:
- Lots of people have written ENTIRE BOOKS about themselves. They’re called autobiographies.
- I AM self-absorbed. (Just kidding, not really though. But seriously, just kidding …about being not serious …seriously.)
So I decided I’d write about music and why I love to play it. Seems appropriate.
A few years ago I never would have thought I’d be playing music for people all over the Tampa Bay Area at least three nights a week. A few years back my friend Josh thought I had a good voice while hearing me sing along to the radio and asked me to audition for his band, which I joined as lead singer. Prior to that, the last experience I had with music was in the junior high orchestra where I played alto sax (wish I still could). I was becoming aware of the fact that I’ve been in love with music my entire life.
While singing in that band with Josh, I became entranced with our guitarist’s ability and realized I wanted to learn how to play the guitar. I borrowed an electric guitar from my friend Jared (which I am yet to return!) and started learning riffs and fundamentals through information on the internet. Being a broke college student, formal guitar lessons weren’t an option. Luckily there is a wealth of information available online that allowed me to teach myself(with a little help from my friends).
My first band eventually broke up, all the while I continued to work on my guitar playing and singing. A friend of mine took me to see Dave Matthews Band for a birthday present. At the time I wasn’t a huge “Dave head”, but I maintain it was one of the best presents I’ve ever received. The show blew my mind. Ever since I’ve been a big DMB fan and learned many of the band’s songs while becoming better and better at guitar. My slight obsession becomes glaringly clear when you see how many Dave Matthews Band songs are on my song list page.
About three years ago I began playing solo shows at bars and parties. Starting at the six-table lounge during happy hour at Steak & Ale where I used to be a bartender, I’ve branched out and played all over Tampa. Some of the places I have played include(in alphabetical order):
- The Brass Tap -Wesley Chapel, FL
- The Bungalow -South Tampa, FL
- City’s Edge Pub -Dade City, FL
- Club Hedo -Ybor City, FL
- Cody’s Steak House -New Tampa, FL
- Coquina Blue -North Tampa, FL
- The Dirty Martini -Clearwater, FL
- The Dubliner Irish Pub -North Tampa, FL
- The Garage -St. Petersburg, FL
- The Hard Rock Casino -Tampa, FL
- Hayes Family Sports Cafe -Lutz, FL
- The Hurricane -St. Petersburg, FL
- International Beer Garten -Odessa, FL
- Jessica’s Stone -Saratoga Springs, NY
- The LA Hangout -Lutz, FL
- Market on 7th -Ybor City, FL
- O’Briens Irish Pub -North Tampa, FL
- Peabody’s Billiards Hall -New Tampa, FL
- Skipper’s Smokehouse -North Tampa, FL
- Steak & Ale -South Tampa, FL
- The UA Hangout -Temple Terrace, FL
- The Vine -Lutz, FL
- Wild Wing Cafe -New Tampa, FL
- World of Beer -Westchase, FL
- Yeoman’s Road Pub -Davis Island, FL
- Yuengling Brewery -Tampa, FL
Music has taken me to new and interesting places, introduced me to many wonderful friends and musicians, and brought an immeasurable amount of fun and fulfillment to my life over the past 6 years, and I’m convinced it will continue to do so.
Stay tuned, …there’s more to come.